About Me

My photo
So I live in the suburbs of Austin, with my awesome husband, who is also my best friend and our two gorgeous children. We are originally from NM, however my children were born in Austin! I currently work for a national recruiting firm as the head of the accounting dept. for 2 branches. My husband and I are both prior service Army and have served in many places around the world, including Iraq and Kuwait. I love working out and running. Once in a while I will try a fitness class. I love, love, love Beachbody workout programs!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Finding the right whey

Let's face it, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about protein powders, well, I actually learned a lot this week about different proteins and what's good for my body type and goals. As I am still learning, I am having a good time trying different flavors and different brands. Today I didn't have anything to do on my lunch break at work, so I drove over to The Vitamin Shoppe and browsed through their sports nutrition department (BTW, this was my first time in The Vitamin Shoppe, I'm usually a GNC gal, but noticed on their website they are a little more $ friendly) from the moment I walked in, I loved this store. As a person basically obsessed with fitness and nutrition, I could come here everyday just to be in the environment. I love people watching, seeing the different levels of fitness come and go. So I browsed around, stayed on the sports nutrition side. The Vitamin Shoppe is so organized and each section is set up for different goals: Pre-Workout, Post-Workout, Whey Protein, Organic Protein.. it goes on and on how they have it all organized, I was in heaven. I also liked that there were several other shoppers, so the sales clerk (unlike @ GNC) wasn't at my side the whole time. I mean, what's worse than a sales person who won't leave you to some piece? After all, this was my lunch break and I was just there to do some research. He did eventually make his way over to me and I began to question him on protein powders..he gave me some do's, some do not's and left me on my own to decide. One of the proteins he recommended was Syntrax: Nectar Sweets, he said a lot of women typically purchase that product because of the taste and the face that it's a Whey Protein Isolate.

* From reseach on Whey Protein Isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available, and it comes from milk. Because of it's chemical properties, whey protein is easiest to absorb into your muscles. *

With that said and done and still unsure of which protein powder to commit to, I mean, most come in 2-5lb containers and let's face it, I get bored.. fast. I don't want just 1 flavor, ideally, I'd like to try a few different flavors to find my favorite and also have a couple different ones on hand when I need to change things up a bit. So lucky me.. I was able to find these small little single packets, which were under $2 a piece, perfecto! I picked one of the Chocolate Truffle and Vanilla Bean Torte.

1 packet equals 100 calories, 23g of protein, 0g of sugar & 0g of carbs (awesome, no carbs and no sugar!!)

Once back at my office, I was watching the clock until my 2:30 snack time rolled around to break one of these bad girls open. I mixed, as directed on the packet, (I used the Chocolate Truffle flavor) with 8oz of milk (you can use milk, juice or water) and shake with my blender bottle and viola.. snack is served! I was a little nervous at first, but it smelled good and the texture was really soft, it mixed really well and upon my first drink.. was pleasantly surprised by the taste. Of course, it is NOT full fat chocolate milk, nor did I expect it to be, but was pretty good for being "healthy"! I will definately be trying again. I also picked up a single packet of Vanilla Bean Torte, can't wait to try that one out! :)

So until next time..
Stay Fit & Fab!

No comments:

Post a Comment